Friday, 5 April 2013

My Musical Diary LVI

The spring might not be here yet but the first April Diary is here on time...enjoy!

Alison Moyet - When I Was Your Girl



Alison's new album comes out in a month and the first single from it pretty much blew me away. I can't say I know many of either Yazoo's or her solo work but there are several of her songs that I hold dear to my heart. I also adore Alison's voice - deep, powerful and always passionate, an edgier Cher, if you will. When I Was... makes me want to dig into Alison's discography and discover more great songs.

Marc Almond - Your Kisses Burn feat. Nico


szólj hozzá: Marc Almond - Your Kisses Burn


It's been too long since I featured a Marc Almond song here. Criminal. I gave my precious The Stars We Are vinyl a spin over the Easter holiday and while it's hard to choose one song from this pretty much flawless album, it was Your Kisses Burn that made the biggest impact on me this time. It's regal, and it sounds even more regal on big speakers. Plus Marc's and Nico's voices compliment each other so well... It's sad that this duet is pretty much the last thing Nico ever recorded. I have a thing for deep female voices and I do think she could have steamrolled Marianne Faithful in the living chanteuse legend category had she lived and put herself together. Alas...

Rufus Wainwright - April Fools



Well, it was April Fools Day a few days ago and which other song could have been a better song of the day than this one, right? By the by, this song is where my blog address comes from:

So let it all go by
Looking at the sky
Wondering if there's clouds and stuff in hell

I was listening to this song while out on errands one day and and even though I'd listened to this song hundreds of times before, only then it suddenly hit me what a great lyric that was. The image of clouds in hell. In my case enhanced by the fact I read Pullman's His Dark Materials a few years ago and consider the third book one of the best pieces of fiction I ever read. Hell and all. If you haven't read I can only recommend.

P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason feat. Nate Ruess



I recently rediscovered this P!nk song from her newest album pretty much only thanks to seeing it amongst the top few singles in the UK chart. I feel a bit ashamed I didn't listen to The Truth About Love album more. I made up my mind about the songs after one listen and from then on only listened to those I really liked...I'm not even sure if I actually listened to this song then. Because Just Give Me A Reason is everything but forgettable. The chorus is such an ear worm. How did it pass me by back when the album came out? HOW???

Shakira - Si te vas



The new season of The Voice started in the US last week and so far watching it has been pure joy. Shakira and Usher replaced Xtina and Cee Lo Green this time and it has been a definite improvement (nothing against CLG though, I do actually miss his quirkiness and hired pets). Of all the coaches on that panel Shakira is the one I've been listening to the most. For over a decade actually. 

Even though I understand very little Spanish I love quite a few of Shakira's 90's songs from before she became a huge international English singing, hips truth telling star. Si te vas, a fast, pissed off pop-rocker, is to be found on her fourth studio album Dónde Están los Ladrones?, which came out in 1998. It's the last of the Spanish-only albums before Laundry Service came out three years later and it is arguably her best album so far. Si te vas never even got to be a single but it could have been a big hit - I guess that speaks for itself.

I'm happy Shakira's on The Voice now. She's a great addition: adorable, smart, witty, easy on the eyes and with a cool, laid back attitude. And selfishly I'm happy she took this job because it made me dig out her albums and listen to them again and add a bit of the Latina flavour back into my life.

Video Bonus:

Hurts - Blind video

We've been graced with a new Hurts video: to Blind, their upcoming second single from Exile (check out my review here). Apparently this video was the brainchild of Theo Hutchcraft (the band's singer). It was filmed in Spain and Theo managed to almost annihilate his right eye while filming it, after falling off stairs and hitting his head on an iron gate. He really should be careful what he's singing about next time because the song goes "cut out my eyes and leave me blind". A nifty prop this time but please, the next time you film a video and happen to be singing about, let's say, stabbing yourself in the heart, please, oh please, don't fall on a stiletto heel chest first. D'ya hear me, Theo??

Back to the video...well it's interesting. Apart from Theo's monster swelled eye (in some shots being hilariously obscured by stuff) it features a pretty female lover of his and Cupid's arrows which the couple uses to get high on love. It ends in tragedy, of course. While it lacks Adam Anderson completely, goes a wee too much Bonnie and Clyde in places, and let's face it, Theo is not much of an actor, it however is mostly successful at what it set out to do: cleverly accompanying an epic Hurts song full of melancholy and gloom. That is not a backhanded compliment, I do actually quite like it. I'm grumpy about the Adam no-show (since he's the one Hurt - ha! - I actually want to look at) but as videos go, this one is pretty good and features some cool ideas.


Little Mix - How Ya Doin'? video

No gloom in this new Little Mix video, instead a lot of adorable British sass (and one Missy). Very colourful and completely precious. Btw, my girl Leigh-Anne's dress is what I want to wear this summer. If the summer ever comes, that is.




Thanks for reading...spread the word about this blog and/or comment below if you wish to. Until next week...

Love, Peace and Ringo! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment