Friday, 29 March 2013

My Musical Diary LV

Another week, another Diary. Not sure if it's the spring or if it's just a coincidence but all but one of my picks this week are pretty high energy. So get dancin'! And to cool down afterwards we have one gorgeous cover version of a Leonard Cohen song...

Jessica Sanchez - Tonight (feat. Ne-Yo)



This one is truly a dance song. It lodged itself in my head just after two listens and since it was unveiled a week ago I've already used it a couple of times to dance to. The lyrics are predictably stupid - you just can't expect Shakespeare from a song like this but the song does what it set out to do more than just well (btw, Jessica is a great vocalist!) and it could be a big hit. One that I wouldn't mind as much as other dance songs on the radio right now.

Kate Bush - Eat the Music



Kate's only 90's album gets bad rep among critics and many fans alike but I personally always loved this album. And if any song can put me in a spring-y/summer-y mood, it's the third track on the album, Eat the Music. It's all about blossoming, opening up, love, life etc. The video for it is very tribal and sensual. This song is just very alive and joyous. How can you not be in love with it.

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)



The Breakfast Club is one of my favourite films and anyone who's seen this film knows the significance the song has in connection to the film (fist pump, freeze frame). For many years I'd hear this song on the radio and either hate it or somewhat like i,t depending on where my relationship with 80's music was, but it wasn't until seeing The Breakfast Club about 5 years ago that I finally got it and fell in love with it. Last Saturday the song came on the radio while I was doing some chores and I couldn't get enough of it so I proceeded to listen to the song for another half an hour, over and over. One of those moments.

Little Mix - How Ya Doin'? (feat. Missy Elliott)



My favourite English girlband is releasing a final single from their debut album next month and they unveiled it a few days ago on Radio 1. But surprise! How Ya Doin'?, which on the album has a somewhat bland production got a bit of a single makeover. As far as I can tell it's completely rerecorded, lyrics modified, full, interesting production treatment - and, obviously, it has Missy Elliott coming out of her cave and throwing some rhymes in. And the result is actually prrrretty good. Hoping for a hit for these girls.

Lana Del Rey - Chelsea Hotel No. 2



While I was getting ready for the Hurts gig last night (GIG WAS GREAT btw!!!!!) I saw Lana posting a new video and...it turned out to be this gorgeous cover version of Leonard Cohen's (in)famous song/letter to Janis Joplin. Lana singing it obviously changed the meaning somewhat, probably changed the object of the song as well and the result is just stunning.

Lana has an amazing ability to pull you into a song and pay attention to every single word she sings. I guess that's what her and Leonard might have have in common. Also neither of them is a good technical singer but they both have incredibly interesting, unique voices and they know how to use them to their full potential. I have to say that after listening to this cover a couple of times I want Lana to record a whole album of Cohen covers. Am I crazy? I don't think so (predictably).

Come to think of it...they have quite a lot in common, these two. They are both pretty shy people who are great at self-mythologising...I actually wouldn't mind Leonard covering one of Lana's songs, while we're at it. Let's bend this gender thang. I got a taste and now I want more.



Thank you for checking out the blog. Feel free to share and/or comment and till next Friday...

Love, Peace and Ringo! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment