Saturday, 1 December 2012

My Musical Diary XL (week 40)

Time flies, and here's already a 40th edition of my weekly musings about my favourite songs. Here we go then!

Kate Bush  - This Woman's Work (Echoes Remix)



I don't usually like remixes, let alone ones of Kate Bush songs but this one is quite good - and deserves a place here. My thanks go to a fellow Kate Bush fan @Gnaes for alerting me to it.

The Dresden Dolls - Kaledrina



I hadn't listened to this song for a few years before it suddenly decided to get stuck in my head earlier this week.

When I woke up,
My arm was off,
My eye was missing,
My face was cracked,
My mouth was rusting,
My dress was ripped,
A button stuck,

This mechanism,
Seems to be broken.

But pull the string,
Still I can talk:

"My name is Kaledrina, and I love you very much....."

This broken doll imagery is very effective, the "my name" line/chorus is very dramatic and some of Amanda's piano motifs are quite beautiful. Therefore it's a shame this song was never properly recorded. On the other hand, the existing live version does have certain elements which could get lost in a studio treatment.

The Runaways - Cherry Bomb



Sometimes a girl wants a bit of rock'n'roll but doesn't want to listen to a penis. What does a girl turn to then? Joan Jett, Blondie, Hole...or Joan Jett's former family The Runaways. Even if the song was actually co-written by a guy (but Joan, too), it's still a pretty powerful and confident sexual statement. Girls get horny too! Or something. The fact Cherie Currie was only 16/17 when singing this song is a wee bit controversial, but these days this is simply a great, hot rock song that managed to survive decades.

The Bryan Ferry Orchestra - Don't Stop the Dance



Well, The Jazz Age, the album from which the above song comes from, is pretty much my album of the week/month... I originally wanted to include Avalon here but sadly the only TJA cut I can find on YouTube is Don't Stop The Dance - which is not bad by any means...just less funny compared to the original. I totally can't stop listening to this record. Shimmy shimmy.

Leonard Cohen - Take This Waltz



Let's finish this entry off with another sexy gentleman who looks good in a suit. For some reason I kept having the mood for listening to Lenny in the mornings the past few days. It's hilarious, since Lenny has always been considered the ideal companion for lonely nights with a cigar and wine. I suppose what calms down others probably wakes me up. But Take This Waltz is a song you can waltz to, which can totally be considered working out. So it's not such a weird winter morning song choice after all.

The the amazing lyrics of the song are based a Federico García Lorca poem called Pequeño vals vienés and recently they even inspired a Sarah Polley film of the same name (which I've yet to see). The music is very Austrian-Hungarian, but also delightfully Jewish (the more Lenny stays true to Jewish tradition in his melodies, the more I tend to love his songs), and the final result is one of Leonard Cohen's best songs.

And I'll dance with you in Vienna
I'll be wearing a river's disguise
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder
My mouth on the dew of your thighs
And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook
With the photographs there, and the moss

And I'll yield to the flood of your beauty
My cheap violin and my cross
And you'll carry me down on your dancing
To the pools that you lift on your wrist
Oh my love, oh my love
Take this waltz, take this waltz
It's yours now, it's all that there is




video bonus:

The Rolling Stones - Doom and Gloom video

Doom and Gloom, I just like this song. And it even gets played on the radio...well done, 50 year-old band! Also well done for getting the sexy Swedish actress Noomi Rapace to star in the video for this song (and even show her boobies...you can see them in the uncensored version by the way). A pretty good video...mainly thanks to Noomi's rock'n'rolling hotness.





Amelia Lily - Shut Up (and Give Me Whatever You Got) video

And more hotness! The video for Amelia's second single is nothing special, but she sure looks shag-worthy in it. For some reason Xonomania production sounds better with a meaty voice like Amelia's, than it does with Girls Aloud's twee voices... Or maybe it's just the song - and Amelia sells it well, leaning against a wall in a promo video and all.



George Harrison - All Things Must Pass tribute video

Two days ago it's been 11 years since my dear Beatlegeorgie left us. I totally cried back then and I totally cried when My Sweet Lord came on the radio on Thursday. Hell, I'm even getting a bit misty-eyed right now. And because I want to drag you to my level of pathetic, I've decided to include this simple fan video to a demo of All Things Must Pass, which is a song that can reduce me to tears whenever I hear it. Combine this with George's childhood pictures, and I hope you're weeping too...





And now that you've dried your eyes, I want to thank you for reading and I hope you'll come back next week for more, like any self-respecting masochist. Share or comment if you want. Till next time....

Love, Peace and Ringo! x

No comments:

Post a Comment