Friday, 9 November 2012

My Musical Diary XXXVII

Another Friday, another Diary... Enjoy!

Robbie Williams - Be A Boy






The opening track of Robbie's brand new album Take the Crown is a fast grower and makes a fitting bridge between Robbie's previous album. At this moment my favourite new Robbie song. More about those in my upcoming review of the album.

They said it was leaving me
The magic was leaving me
I don’t think so
I don’t think so

They said it was leaving
They said it with joy
Now I could make this last forever
And be a boy, and be a boy


Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head

The Abbey Road Sessions, an album with reworked versions of Kylie's hits, came out the previous week and it's actually quite amazing. The new arrangements make me like songs that I wasn't previously so keen on as well as even improve on some of my Kylie favourites. Can't Get You Out of My Head is the latter case. The original is pretty much a perfect pop song, but the new version adds an orchestra and injects new drama into this song. Like this it would work perfectly as a Bond song, for instance. But the whole album is a treat. Definitely a recommended listen!

Enjoy a live version of this arrangement:



Christina Aguilera - Just A Fool (feat. Blake Shelton)



(song starts at 1:08, but watch the introduction too :) )

Xtina is going to have a new album (Lotus) out soon as well and she's previewing some of the tracks on her YouTube channel. If you feel like it, check all of them out. It's shaping up to be a pretty good pop album, in my opinion.

My favourite from these songs is a duet with her fellow coach on The Voice, CMA Entertainer of the Year and one of the most successful American country singers of today, Blake Shelton. I didn't know Blake prior to The Voice but he sure has become one of my favourite TV personalities. I'm still not familiar with his music (though I own a few of his wife's songs...his wife = Miranda Lambert), so I don't quite know how this song compares to his usual stuff. Country music today is very pop-oriented - I'd never guess Taylor Swift was a country artist, for instance - so I guess Just A Fool would fit comfortably in a pop-country artist's discography. Both Christina and Blake sound great on this song, it's the sort of power pop Kelly Clarkson does...it sounds like an actual meaty song, not some thrown together dance fluff, but it still could be a big hit, in the US, as well as here.

Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us



Apart from Robbie and Kylie's new albums I wasn't really listening to much else last week, and because both albums are all good mature pop, I got a craving for something batshit crazy. And this song immediately popped into my mind. So I finally bought it on iTunes a few days ago and keep enjoying this nutty amazingness...

David Bowie - When I Live My Dream



One of the songs featured on Bowie's very first album, released in 1967 (on the 1st June, the same day The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album came out). Even though there are many weird-ish songs on it, to my ears Bowie is most successful at straight 60's pop tracks such as this one.

I'm in the process of reading a book on Bowie's early years called Any Day Now: The London Years and I finally arrived into the period in which Bowie started his solo recording career. I have a soft spot for his two 60's albums, plus since I read about the first album in the book two days I ago I've had this little ditty stuck in my head. Through all the weirdness and ever-changing quality of his career and musical output, this man always knew how to write an ear worm...

Here's a video (taken from a promotional film, called Love You Till Tuesday, which was released in 1969, the version of the song is different to the original album version embedded above). Even though David was wearing a hideous wig here, he's still darn cute. Also, his first serious girlfriend, Hermione, appears in the video.



Video bonus:

Amanda Palmer & the Grand Theft Orchestra - Do It With A Rockstar

This video's just come out and, obviously, I love it. Even though I hope my mum won't walk up on me when I watch it. There's nudity. And sex. Duh! The song's called Do It With A Rockstar after all. The best part of the video is the very end, in which one of my very favourite cool people on the planet, Jherek Bischoff, the bass player in the Grand Theft Orchestra, reveals his preference in bed companions...



By the way, I did see Amanda and the band live last Monday and loved it. Thought I would write a blog, alas didn't...what could I write after all? If you can, go see them play live, because they are GREAT. Especially Jherek. Hawk.

Thanks for reading, share...comment etc....and till next week...

Love, Peace and Ringo! x

No comments:

Post a Comment