Friday, 26 October 2012

My Musical Diary XXXV

A weird foggy week behind me...no sun and no new music. I did get my Theatre Is Evil vinyl package though. And I did listen to my other favourites, so the following entry reflects that. No new blings but rather some old gems...

Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra - Smile (Pictures or It Didn't Happen)



It's amazing being able to listen to Amanda's great recent album on vinyl now. And (hopefully) seeing her and the band live in 3 days will be even more amazing. Right now I have the opening song from Theatre Is Evil stuck in my head, so that's why it ended up here. A great dramatic song with an anthemic quality to it. Enjoy and go get the album if you haven't yet (you can pay as much for it as you want).

Marc Almond - Gosudaryunia



It was incredibly grey, foggy and bleak last week so I was in the right mood for a lot of Marc Almond music, especially his first Russian album Heart On Snow, even if I believe its season is yet upon us...how I'll survive January and February I'd like to know. For now though, enjoy this great song which is actually in English - so if you have a fear of the Russian language, you don't have to run away... And if you're like me and curious what the title of the song means, check out this link.

Blondie - Picture This



I love Debbie Harry. I've made that clear on this blog several times now. Picture This is one of the first Blondie songs I ever knew and one of my very favourites. It's mature and sexy. This is no naive girl singing this, this is a woman in her early 30's wanting "something more solid" with a guy she dates but at the same time she's very sensual about it. And on top of this, the song has a great tune. It's a bit dramatic, sweeping and cool at the same time. Picture This is when I fell in love.

There's never enough of this song, so here's a live version:



Robbie Williams - Heart and I



Heart and I is a song only available on Robbie's best of album In and Out of Consciousness and it's a song that I overlooked for years (2 years, that is). It starts out as a ballad so I always seemed to skip it but I let it play while doing my hair the other day and was all woah, that's a pretty good song! Also the lyrics are quite good for what is essentially a b-side.

I hope there's a golden age, I pray for my sanityWhere we don't have to answer to anyone about anythingThis is not like the brochure, flying cars and sex machinesWe're all so compliant 'cause everything is what it seems
And they can't build a satellite to tell you how loved you areOr some kind of life device that holds you in you've gone too far
And I don't feel myself again, I thought I'd be fixed by nowWalking through the horizon, I find myself back here somehowGive me something to die for or design a quiet mindSomething to like mankind for 'cause we don't lie, my heart and I
You've been bending so long now, you think it's standing upAnd they line up behind you to build you up, buttercupWe can lose all meaning quicker than a credit cardAnd not everyone's healing so try your best and don't look too hard
'Cause they can't build a satellite to tell you what's in your heartOr some kind of life device to hold you in, you've gone too far
And I don't feel myself again, I thought I'd be fixed by nowWalking through the horizon, I find myself back here somehowGive me something to die for or design a quiet mindSomething to like mankind for 'cause we don't lie my heart and I
Will I ever feel that waking? Make it as a lullabyDon't ask me to explain again, I can't lie to my heart and I
And I don't feel myself again, I thought I'd be fixed by nowWalking through the horizon, I find myself back here somehowGive me something to die or design a quiet mindSomething to like mankind for 'cause we don't lie my heart and I
My heart and I, my heart and II've been feeling so lonelyFeeling so lowSo low I almost let go

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence



I was listening to the Merry Christmas... soundtrack the other night, while reading Any Day Now, an excellent biography of David Bowie's early years (1947 - 1974). Seemed only fitting. Ryuichi is one of my favourite film score composers and I discovered him thanks to this piece of of music and thanks to this Nagisa Oshima-directed film, in which Ryuichi stars together with Bowie, Tom Conti and Takeshi Kitano. Definitely recommended viewing!



They were all honourable men, but oh what deeds could be done in the name of honour.



Thanks for reading! As usual, sharing and comments are encouraged... Till next week...

Love, Peace and Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment