Friday, 19 October 2012

My Musical Diary XXXIV

Earlier this week I ranted about new music from artists I like being disappointing this autumn but in this entry I'll be positive as usual. So here's the music that's brought me good vibrations this week (okay, even I am cringing at the good vibrations choice of words...but sometimes the cliché works best, right?).

Little Mix - We Are Young acoustic



Little Mix were adorably counting down to the reveal of their new video (see in the bonus section) on their YouTube channel this week and I ended up browsing through their other uploaded stuff the other day - and found a gorgeous acoustic version of fun.'s We Are Young song. Now, while the song itself is a bit of a mess (catchy anthemic chorus but weird folky quirky verses and bridge), Little Mix's live acoustic version is a treat. None of the ladies is an amazing singer but they are exceptionally good for a girlband. Whenever I hear them singing a capella together or in an acoustic arrangement they definitely impress me. They revealed pretty early on than this is their strength and I'm glad they keep on showing us what they can do.


Girls Aloud - Something New



Another girl band. This one I still haven't learned to love (except for one of its members - Nicola Roberts - whom I adore). At first listen I was all "I hate this, sounds like everything else on the radio and Nicola doesn't even get a proper solo on it", after the second one I went "It's catchy, I could dance to this...and some of it could be on Nicola's solo album". And now after I watched the video and heard the song for the third time I actually quite love it. Oh well... some songs grow on you...

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl



I'd like to dedicate this one to Lana Del Rey.

In all seriousness, though. I've rediscovered this song last week thanks to some old NME article on guitar riffs...or was it bass lines? Either way, I'd completely forgotten about this fun rock track. Aww, the first half of the noughties, it was a great period for fun guitar rock. Where did that go...

David Bowie - Stay



This song's riff can get me all ready for bedroom action, I can tell ya! Need I really say more?

Well, I will. It's one of my favourite Bowie songs ever (and not only because it makes me sex-ready...even though, that's what rock is about, n'est-ce pas?) and the following live version from 2000 started to play on my player the other night, it made me remember how many times I listened to it when I still listened to CDs only. You can find this excellent version on the Bowie at the Beeb compilation, disc 3. I'm surprised the CD still works because I played that compilation over and over...and over. This version features the original Stay lead guitarist Earl Slick and in hindsight, having heard other Bowie guitarists take a stab at this song live, I still think Earl plays it the best.

Enjoy the live version below:



Robyn - Dancing On My Own



The ultimate stalker anthem. Or the ultimate anthem for someone who sometimes dances alone in their room (me). I danced the fuck out of this song a few nights ago. One of the best pop song ever, in my opinion (aka Robyn is the real Queen of Pop, forget about the Italian Americans!).

P.S. I prefer the album version posted above but if you wanna check out the official video, click here.




Video bonus:

It's been a great week for videos, y'all.



Lana Del Rey - Ride video

I was in the winter of my life and the men I met along the road were my only summer.



Amazing. It's Lana doing her own version of Easy Rider. If you want to, check out this short analysis of the video on Pop Trash Addicts.

Little Mix - DNA video



And here we have another film inspiration. Is it just me or is this video heavily Sin City inspired? Anyway, I like it a lot. These girls are adorable. Oh, and Leigh-Ann is hot.

Jack White - I'm Shakin' video



And now a male hottie. Or at least a taller, pasty Johnny Depp lookalike/occasional Elvis Presley: Jack White. I find this seemingly simple video quite hot. I keep on waiting for the two Jacks to start fighting each other and then segue into a make-out session. I clearly need to get laid.

I hope all the sex talk in my latest edition of Diary brought some good vibrations your way as well...Share & comment if you wish and till next week.........

Love, Peace & Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment