Friday, 10 August 2012

My Musical Diary XXIV

This week's Diary is brief as I wrote it in about half an hour on Wednesday evening. I'm already in Vienna when you read this, enjoying a short trip from which I'll return on Monday evening. I didn't want to cancel this week's blog completely but I sadly didn't have as much time to write it as I usually do. So excuse any typos and grammar fuck-ups.

Bowie - Life On Mars?



Well, Curiosity Rover landed on Mars earlier this week, so it's no surprise I start my Diary with this song. One of the best songs ever written...anyone can connect to its lyrics. And apart from all the SF and glam connections the song's melody is just gorgeous. No wonder it's probably Bowie's most covered song.

Green Day - Oh Love



First heard this new Green Day single weeks ago but then sort of forgot about its existence until hearing it again a few days ago on the radio. Well. It's a good song but is it something surprising like American Idiot (the song) was? Definitely not. It's a nice song that will be easy to sing along to - it does have the Green Day anthemic quality. Makes me think the album(s?!) will be listenable. That's about it.

Pet Shop Boys - I Started A Joke



I'm a bit obsessed with this cover at the moment. You can find it as a b-side on PSB's newest single Winner which came out this week. I's out in digital form as well.

Phillip Phillips - Home



The first non-shitty winner song of an American Idol. In fact, Home is actually pretty good and it's doing quite well in the US charts (not only thanks to being featured on the Olympic games TV programmes there). It's a nice guitar song. The video is exactly what I'd expect from Phillip - it's feel good and thankfully not too sentimental (which we'd expect from a winner of American Idol). Well done so far. I'm not a fan of Phillip's but I do wish him this success and hope does well with his own material as well.

Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra - Do It With A Rock Star



I started this post with a bang and I'm ending it with a bang. This is a great rock song Bowie could wish he'd written. Listened to it this week always several times on repeat coz it's just so freaking cool and addictive. I can't get enough of it and since I'm one of the funders of Amanda's album art project on Kickstarter I've known it for quite a while now. It was a grower but man, has it grown since that first spring listen! :)

Thank you for reading this far. Have a great weekend and if you have any comments or questions, hit the comment section.

Till next week

Love, Peace & Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment