Friday, 3 August 2012

My Musical Diary XXIII

I haven't been listening to music very much this week (archery on the Olympics and Strangers from the Sky have prevented me), so this week's Diary is a bit all over the place. There's quite a few bonus videos here though. ;)

Florence + the Machine - Spectrum (Say My Name) (Calvin Harris Remix)



This song has been a UK no. 1 for a month but I still haven't heard it until today so I decided to finally check it out.

Hm. I think I'm starting to be tired by all the dancey stuff in the charts right now. Florence's voice is what makes this song stand out but the remix production just makes me yawn, at first listen at least.

Lady Gaga - Yoü and I



One of my favourite Lady Gaga songs. Loved it from the first time I heard it (still prefer the original live version to the final studio one) and whenever it comes on on the radio (just like it did a few days ago) I can't help but pretend I'm a rock star headlining a festival... Always such fun singing along to it. Great piano pounder of a song, those are always the best.

Elton John vs Pnau - Karmatron



Talking about piano pounders, heard about Elton's latest collaboration before but only a Czech music website's glowing review made me check it out. The album (Elton's existing chopped up vocals plus new music and beats by Pnau) is definitely a nice chillout background kind of music but works even if you really want to listen to the songs. I kind of wish The Sound of Arrows got to do this instead of Pnau, I think the result would be more my kind of vibe. But it's definitely a cool project and a success.

Karmatron is so far my favourite on the album. The most dramatic one on the album, the most uptempo song as well - and the shortest one. Pretty good.

Melanie Amaro - Don't Fail Me Now



Haven't watched the US X Factor last year, so this is my first time hearing Melanie, the winner, and it's not bad at all. People who have seen her on the show seem to pretty much universally hate it though, saying it doesn't sound like her. If that's true, than that's a shame but if the song gets itself to people who have no idea who Melanie is it won't matter very much.

Don't Fail Me Now is not original in any way (repetitive, all the lyrical clichés!) but it sounds like a possible radio hit to me. I'd take this over a boring ballad any time.

Amelia Lily - China In Your Hand



Amelia is going to release her debut single soon (and you can read my thoughts on its video below) but earlier this week, her live version of China, which she sang on the X Factor at one point, came on my iPod and I fell in love with it all over again. When I saw Amelia perform this I remember it as the moment when I realised she could be a proper pop star, not "just" a pop/rock hybrid between P!nk and Kelly Clarkson. Seems Xenomania had the same thought. Looking forward to the whole album now...

Bonus - videos:

More, to me interesting videos have come out recently. Here they are + a few of my thoughts on them.

Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness video



I tragically omitted to put this video here last week. I absolutely love it. I find summertime a pretty bi-polar time. It can be a time of a great deal of joy but when you look back on it in winter or even several years later it can definitely bring you down. Or, it can be a source of depression right from the start. I was pretty down last summer and the summer before was a summer of staggering heights and really scary lows, so I've formed a special bond with this song. It certainly doesn't cheer me up though.

Right, the video. I kind of have no idea what is going on there. Friendship? Lesbian love? Did Lana kill herself over the friend/girlfriend breaking up with her or as a reaction to her death? I don't know and I don't need to have one clear meaning spelled out to me. They call Lana's videos Instagram music videos but whatever, this is a great video and so unlike most of the stuff I've seen so far in my life. (Disclaimer I'm not a music video person, so it doesn't mean there aren't thousands of music vids identical to this one.)

Amelia Lily - You Bring Me Joy video



There's a car and there's a beach. And Amelia has some friends with her. And then there's a party with boys involved. Not a terribly original video. But it does have the summer joy/melancholy which the song invokes, so...why not. It's summer. Cars, beaches and boys should be permitted in girl singer's videos. Especially if the girls have absolutely stunning hair.

Scissor Sisters - Let's Have A Kiki instructional video



I've grown to hate this song a bit and the word "Kiki" a lot and it seems to me like the band's desperately trying to get the most out of this not-as-amusing-as-they-think song. Now there's a Kiki dance routine.

Ana is absolutely fabulous as usual and the reason I watched this video till the very end. Babydaddy dropping his drumstick at one point is just adorable, Del is werking the fuck out of his tamburin thingy and Jake's dancing is top notch though I'm judging his outfit so hard. WTF is that.

This video is fun, but I'm still SO over Kiki.

And finally...

Wishing just the very best to two amazing piano playing artists who share birthdays (30th July): Kate Bush and Othon Mataragas.




If you want to, you can check out Othon's current collaborative art project here.

Hope you have enjoyed reading my newest Music Diary. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to take advantage of the comment section below.

Have a great week and until next Friday

Peace, Love and Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment