Friday, 15 June 2012

This Week's Top 5 Songs XVII

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die



A fed days ago I saw a link to Lana's new song that she's started to perform recently. Sounds good, would be nice to have a studio version of it. Anyway, that put me in the mood for listening to her....and I have done so...and that's why I'm opening this week's Top 5 Songs post with one of her songs. I actually think "feet don't fail me now, take me to the finish line" might be my favourite opening song-lyric couplet of any of the songs I got into listening to this year. It keeps popping up in my mind almost every day, especially when I feel tired...

The Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs



...Which takes me to my other fave song this week. Venus In Furs features these lyrics:

I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears


That's my life in a nutshell, however sad that might be.

A few days ago, after listening to a couple of Lana's songs while studying, I ended up craving Nico's voice...and once I started listening to The Velvets' first album I just couldn't stop. Venus in Furs is quite a unique song: it's by far not as conventional as the album's opener Sunday Morning or the album's other folkier songs, but it's also not as Really Weird as the album's closing European Song...it's still pretty weird and musically unconventional (as well as lyrically) but it's actually pretty catchy at the same time. And the chorus's lyrics (is that the chorus?) that I quoted above...one of Lou's best.

Harren Hayes - Bloodstained Heart



And from now on it's all unabashed pop music. Last week I featured Stupid Mistake here in this blog erm... serial. This week it's another song from Darren's latest album. If I'm not mistaken this was the leading single in the UK last year. This song has been a grower for me. I pretty much had to hear a live acoustic version of it to fully appreciate it - but since listening to that I have had this song lodged in my head and I don't mind one little bit. It's now proudly residing in the Australia Mix playlist on my iPod.

Misha B - Home Run



Misha B's debut single. Another grower. When I first heard this song for the first time a couple of weeks ago I thought...good, but not really my thing. Then I heard it again a few days ago...and again today because its official video has been released (watch above)...and man, I'm going to buy this one when it comes out. I listened to the UK singles chart last Sunday and I can tell you this song is what sells right now but it's much better than some of the shit in the same genre that's in top places right now. So I hope this does well. Misha has heaps of talent, style and charisma, I hope enough people see that.

MIKA - Celebrate



MIKA's leading single from his upcoming third album. It's....very current and quite different even from MIKA's previous album, let alone the piano-lead debut. It makes me a bit sad, actually. The fact he was a piano singer-song writer was what brought me to MIKA initially, so I'm not sure what I think about this new direction. He obviously wants to experiment and judging from the choice of feat (Pharrell Williams), he wants back into the charts. But so far it feels to me he's lost something in the process, I'll reserve my final judgement for after I hear the whole album though. Celebrate itself is not bad, but to my ears it blends a bit too much with what's in right now. And if I pitted Celebrate with Adam Lambert's Pharrell Williams collab Trespassing (the song), it would lose hands down. It is a charming song though. Maybe that should be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment