Friday, 9 March 2012

This Week's Top 5 Songs III

Another Friday, another Top 5 Songs post...

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes



I got myself a record player/turntable earlier this week and decided to test it in style: by playing one of Bowie's best singles (actually his best no. 1 single, in my opinion). What a great feeling.

Marcus Collins - Break These Chains



I've bought Marcus's Seven Nation Army single this Monday (I know I know...) and have been listening to the b-side a lot. Not that I like it so much. It's not a bad pop song but I'm not crazy about Marcus's vocals on this one, or the rest of the production. Which is a shame. I think the song does have a potential.

Marc Almond and the Willing Sinners - Love and Little White Lies

More of a chant than a song. LALWL has an almost hypnotic quality...once it starts I don't want it to end. This is one of my favourite songs of Marc's, the backing vocals remind me of what Kate Bush started to explore on her albums Hounds of Love and (especially) The Sensual World. It's a shame Marc doesn't get more recognition as a songwriter and musician, even he doesn't give himself enough credit in this area.
You can find this lesser known song on Marc's second solo album Stories of Johnny, which came out in 1985.

Can't find the studio version on Youtube, but I did find this neat live version (sadly sans the cool backing vocals that are on the studio version):



Haley Reinhart - Hit the Ground Running



One of the two new songs of Haleys. The other one is called Wasted Tears and is equally good. I'm just very excited about these. Haley seems well on her way of actually utilising her potential. She writes her own songs and obviously has a good ear for potentially commercially successful stuff. These songs are good, memorable as well as completely "her". So many artists who got discovered through talent shows tend to come out with inadequate/bad/boring/underdeveloped music after and I'm really happy to see this doesn't seem to be Haley's case.

Perfume Genius - Hood



I got myself Perfume Genius's second album this week and fell in love. Hood, the first single (with an uproar-causing video), completely mesmerised me the first time I heard it a few weeks ago. Wow. What beautiful, pure, emotionally charged music.

You would never call me baby
If you knew me truly
Oh, but I waited so long for your love
I am scared baby that I can't keep it up for long

Oh, I wish I grew up the moment the second I first held you in my arms
Underneath this hood you kiss, I tick like a bomb

You would never call me baby
If you knew me truly
Oh, but I waited so long for your love
I will fight baby not to do wrong


Such simple lyric, but wow, so powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment