Friday, 2 March 2012

This Week's Top 5 Songs II

A run-down of the music I've been listening to in the last 7 days, in the form of 5 song picks.

George Harrison - Wah-Wah



I watched the Martin Scorsese documentary on George Harrison earlier this week (he did a great job btw) & therefore was reminded of the Beatles' song-writing genius. I'm a huge fan of the Beatles but I'm not that familiar with the guys' solo stuff. I suppose I listen to solo/Wings McCartney the most...I have to be in a certain mood for Harrison's songs but those of his songs I know have one thing in common: they are all great. Harrison was, in my opinion, the best lyricist of all the Beatles (If I Needed Someone is a good early example of his ability to express "stuff" in a clever & effective way, using some dry wit). Wah-Wah was apparently written after a fight with Paul McCartney on 10th January 1969 (witnessed in the Let It Be film). BTW, isn't wah-wah such a good word. Any idiot can use swear words. Look at me.

Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues



Since it was Johnny Cash's birthday last Sunday I finally gave a proper listen to his legendary live album At Folsom Prison. The whole record is great so it was hard to choose a stand-out track. I love the way Johnny's voice cracks on this song (which was actually not written by him).

Suede - Can't Get Enough



This song kinda makes me wanna go to an orgy...and snort something. But since I'm a good girl I at least play it properly loud. If I ever were able to write songs, it would hopefully be something like this.

Erasure - Chorus



The melodic choices used in this song just fascinate me. The melody is just so unusual, it completely intrigued me right on the first listen. Why the fuck did I think they were some 80/90's synth-pop joke for so many years?!

Marc Almond & the Willing Sinners - Angel in Her Kiss



I listen to Marc all the time yet for some reason it is not reflected in this blog at all. Well, here's one of the (to the masses) lesser known songs of his. You can find this song on Mother Fist and Her Five Daughters, a brilliant album of Marc's, which was released a few months before I was born (in 1987). Again, I chose this song for its unusual melodic choices...I suppose There Is A Bed or Mr. Sad are a wee bit more conventional, or even commercial, and I did warm up to them more quickly but right now Angel's offbeat qualities are winning...

No comments:

Post a Comment