Friday, 24 February 2012

This Week's Top 5 Songs

Just a quick let-you-know...

Erasure - Stay With Me



I kept completely dismissing this band all my life until I got their best of yesterday and this song really surprised me. It actually sounds a lot like Yazoo (which makes perfect sense, of course). Just sublime. Electro pop at its best.

Haley Reinhart - Free



Can't wait for the album. This is a great song, have had it stuck in my head since the first videos of her performing it resurfaced earlier this week. Hope the studio version of it is good, and not too polished.

Blur - Tender



Since Blur got their lifetime achievement award (I'm pretty sure it's called something else) Brit award this week and divided the British public with their performance, I listened to more Blur stuff than usual. This really is a great song, isn't it. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Damon Albarn as a lyricist but the lyrics to this song seem to go right from the heart. Overall, quite an anthem.

Graham Coxon - I Wish



But who I really ended up listening to after the whole Brits Blur hullabaloo was solo Graham. This guy is every bit as talented as Damon Albarn but sadly completely underrated because unlike Damon he doesn't have a gift for making all stuff sound like smart pop and though he's obviously a punk-rocker he's just way too quiet to ever make a proper loud-mouthed rocker idiot everyone pays attention to.
He's written some great catchy songs with amazing guitar bits in it (Right to Pop!, Freakin' Out, You & I...) but I decided to choose I Wish from Graham's first solo album for this blog entry. It's hypnotic, the electric guitar part is the predecessor of that of Coffee & TV and the lyrics are somewhat tragicomic, and go to the core. For some they might be a wee bit too adolescent but hey, not my problem!

I wish a constant stream of happy shit
Live forever in world of leather
I wish the rain would just leave me alone
I can't wear that stupid rain hat


Pet Shop Boys - After The Event



Currently featured on their collection of b-sides called Format, this for me is one of the best songs they've ever done. I think it's the "come on come on"s that really get me. Plus, as usual, Neil's lyrics are brilliant.

Typical day
Cars being towed away
Junk mail through the door
joins the post on the floor
Drilling
always someone drilling
somewhere in the city
authorised by committee
Permission is bestowed
according to postal code
Terms and conditions may vary
It's nothing out of the ordinary

No comments:

Post a Comment