Friday, 26 March 2010

First Contact...aka Star Trek 8

So I saw another Star Trek film last night. I only watch Trek films with my two friends who are Trekkies, the only exception is the latest restart Star Trek fim from last year which I've seen countless times already (countless in my case = cca 6 or 7 times) and always on my own (be it on a large cinema screen or my on 17'' screen laptop).

Tim Bisley (Simon Pegg) of Spaced said about 10 years ago that every odd-numbered Star Trek film is shit - and at that time he was basically right. So I let my hopes get a little bit higher about The First Contact and the film didn't disappoint.
More than the story, tho, I enjoyed the actors, most of all James Cromwell and Alfre Woodard. These two were a really nice surprise.
Seeing young Neal McDonough with different hair was a bit distracting, tho. It made me think about Desperate Housewives a bit too much. ;)
James Cromwell was obviously enjoying every second of the film - or at least that's how his screen presence came across - and he was a joy to watch.

Haven't seen the Borg since my childhood (on our tiny black&white TV)...just me or are they wonderfully boring? But then, anything's better than the Daleks, annoying metal shits.

Sorry, got carried away...

Overall it was a good film, Captain Pickard is still a bit too serious for my taste (it's sci-fi for fuck's sake!) but then there is Data - and thank god for him. I don't think I would have enjoyed this film as much if James Cromwell's character wasn't in it, tho.

FV

2 comments:

  1. haha - Loved this, Mr Bisley was so right!... Do you have a letterboxd account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't. I'll think about getting one though...

      Delete