Monday, 14 December 2009

2009 Surprises in Music

As a music "maniac" I discover new music almost on daily basis. If we say music is my drug, we will be basically correct. ;o)

I've always been a curious person and being for instance a Bowie fan has never just meant I'd listen to his records over and over. It meant I wanted to know all his influences...and make up my mind about them.

But sometimes something wonderful crosses your path without you searching for it (in my case Kate Bush, Leonard Cohen or The Dresden Dolls) and this blog will be about some of these little music surprises that happened to me this year.

Florence + The Machine.

There are many interesting, sligtly deranged-looking female singers-songwriters, who aspire to be another Kate Bush or Tori Amos but not that many of them caught my attention or even made me like them... then came Florence. The red hair, the weird lyrics, the VOICE. And she also has got the songs...not too out-there, not too pop; she doesn't sound like a copy of anyone - and that's something these days. How does she do it, I've no idea.
When she sings that dog days are over, you just somehow believe her. ;o)

Alicia Keys's new songs.

The last time I listened to Alicia was back when she released her first album...and I kind of lost touch with her - until I heard her collaboration with Jay-Z this year and until I heard "Doesn't Mean Anything". Just bought the new album, haven't listened to it yet - but the more melodic, less vocal acrobatic style of the few songs she released this year totally makes me hopeful I'm gonna like it.

Julian Casablancas.

Never been a fan of The Strokes but some of the reviews of his first solo album Phrazes for the Young convinced me I should give the album a listen. Very nice surprise!
Also, always liked Julian's voice...guess that's why I can never really become a fan of someone like The X Factor's Joe. I just don't like too pretty. ;o)

The Script.

I've already blogged about the musical surprises of this year's season of American Idol.....consequently because of Kris Allen I discovered the music of an Irish band called The Script. Tho not a huge fan of soft rock and r'n'b I actually seem to enjoy the mix of it this band offers. Most of all tho, these guys can write some true to life lyrics with some real deep-ish meaning their contemporaries in sound fail to come up with.What can I say, Dublin.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a band that's been around for quite some time, I'd known some of their songs but never quite got into them until they released this album this year. I've listened to "Zero" for too many times - and it still makes me dance and I just don't get tired of listening to it. Well done, I guess.

"Cry Me A River" by Michael Bublé.

Aagin...I'd known Michael Bublé for ages, known what type of music he does but never really checked him out until he sang on The X Factor - his version of "Cry Me A River". I guess he had me on "And". Brilliant version - and quite a surprise for me.

FV

No comments:

Post a Comment