Saturday, 17 October 2009

Patrick Wolf in Akropolis, 16-10-09

so I was listening to the radio on Wednesday morning...and Patrick Wolf's "Vulture" came on followed by a comment by the DJ - Patrick would play Akropolis in two days. I went: Wha?! usually I try to keep in touch with my fave artists' touring plans...

now, I love Akropolis as a venue. a) pretty close to where I live, b) great sound...always, c) not big & quite a good looking lady this venue is, d) has a gallery with great view of the stage.

the ticket was quite cheap...my fave venue, one of my fave new artists...I bought the ticket right Wednesday afternoon. :)

jump to the gig itself: the supporting artist was a Czech band called Burian named after the frontman's surename. he was better than expected and not exctly ugly. people who have heard Burian's album say the songs sound 100% better live. I did consider checking out the album but now I think I've already heard the best from this band.



Patrick started quite early and played for about an hour and half. most of all I was surprised by his ability to control his voice. quite amazing singer, if you ask me. even tho his style of singing isn't 100% my cuppa.
the band rocked...esp. the violinist who also got probably the biggest "round of applause" when Patrick was introducing the band. I'm usually not a big fan of violins (I love cello but the small beasts are too squeeky for me), so I guess the girl was doing something right.

music was 100% great. I love people who can put on some noise but most of all I love people who can actually play and sing (if "unconventionally") and well, I'm a sucker for big melodies. I got all that last night. there might have been some theatrics in Patric's set (I think my sensor for over-the-topness has been numbed down by years of listening to Bowie, Marc Almond...The Dresden Dolls and the like, I have to warn ya :) ) but for me personally it was mostly about the music.
but then I can't speak for the guy with a black boa in the front row or for all the screaming teenage girls who tried to touch Patrick's crotch whenevr the apportunity...er...arose. I actually was one of the older folks in the audience (!), scary as it might sound...because as Lily Allen sings "I'm only 22".

tho pretty otherworldly while performing, Patrick appeared to be just a shy lovely boy between the songs and managed to totally win his audience by telling them about a former member of his band who was Czech, about his trip to Prague last summer; deciding he was spiritually half Czech and promising them it wouldn't take him another 7 years to come back.
great, because I wanna be there when he comes back...and that better happen soon. x

only today when I was reading stuff about this gig on the internet I realized Patrick didn't play the song that introduced me to him a couple of years back: "Accident and Emergency". the fact I didn't miss it last night indicates how exactly great the concert was.

so thank you, again, Patrick. xxx

setlist: Who Will?, Bluebells, Careless Talk, Damaris, Pigeon Song, The Bachelor, Tristan, Battle, The Stars, Theseus The Sun Is Often Out, Paris, Hard Times, The Magic Position, Kriegspiel, Vulture

pictures:















No comments:

Post a Comment