Saturday, 31 October 2009

Lily Allen @ SaSaZu, Prague



Where to start...

I was worried about this gig. Despite the whole copy-and-paste affair I love Lily Allen. But I wasn't looking forward going to the hottest club in Prague (= the hottest club in the whole country, most probably) and I wasn't looking forward to all the stuck-up Czechs who go to these gigs just because the singer is famous - more so if this was supposed to be combined ("posh" club + "posh" people).
I was worried about going home alone at 1 am - across half of Prague. That went fine in the end.
I was also worried about my passing in the middle of Lily's set (which almost happened at one point).

But...let's go back to the start.
I was only pleasantly suprised by SaSaZu. Despite reading negative stuff about it I was pleased by how nice the staff were. The main room is huge & all along the dancefloor there are a few steps leading to the "bar floor" - I stood there and got a pretty good view at the stage.

The supporting DJ Make Music was....eh....let's say eclectic. But I am very grateful to him for playing Blur, Bowie or The Beatles, so I could sing along and not just stand there (when I'm having the worst day of my period the last thing I wanna do is dance).

I read a lot of bad things about the sound in SaSaZu, in the end it wasn't that tragic. But DJ Make Music totally had a better sound then Lily's gig afterward. Dunno what the sound engeneer was doing but half the gig Lily sounded like a cross between Chipmunk and Donald the Duck - and sometimes she wasn't almost audible at all, tho the bass link was. :-/

Lily, oh Lily. What can I say...she's the only contemporary pop singer I really like - if I don't count Shakira (who's been around for quite some time now) and P!nk who's more of a rocker in my book).
Lily's smart, she's a really good singer (seriously, I'd take her over Leona Lewis or Beyoncé any day...I'm just not interested in howling & mostly unispired lyrics) and she can put on a show without putting on a show. 3 outfits, a few musicians, no special effects or dancers & elaborate choreography. My kinda pop show.
She was extremely charming, kept on communicating with the audience who mostly didn't know what the fuck she was saying most of the time because a) of her accent b) they couldn't hear her. But she carried on babbling nevertheless: about her bervous tick when she unnecessarily kept on pulling up her tight jeans ("There's no fucking way these jeans are going anywhere."), about the people in the front rows not having any drinks or that she's glad she's finally playing in Prague.
She also seemed genuinely concerned if we were having fun. I believe it wasn't just a phrase...because Czechs in general aren't of the warmest audiences, let alone posh Czechs who came to SaSaZu just to show off and see the famous Brit chick.

It was kinda sad because quite a lot of the people didn't even know her music: just the two songs that our radios seem to have been playing into oblivion: "Fuck You" and "Not Fair" - and those two also got the biggest response.

Sad indeed, because Lily is one talented lady: as a songwriter as well as a performer - and her lyrics deserve to be understood and sung along.
Well, at least I sang. lol

I loved her set... still there were some highlights in it for me: beautifully sang "Naive" (audience had no fucking idea what that song was, it seemed :o) ), "Oh My God" (ditto), "Littlest Things", "Who'd Have Known" and "I Could Say".
Yep! Lily sang MY song! :o)
Oh and when those middle fingers rose into the air during "Fuck You" it was a pretty good moment too. ;o)
One more highlight: "Kabul Shit" - I didn't know this one - this song's a b-side on The Fear. Lily commented that people wanted her to sing this one live & I think it was very brave for her to perform a song very few people in the audience would know.
I totally get why some demanded this one being played live: I fell in love with it right on the spot yesterday and one of the first things I did today was going to 7digital and buying it. The chorus's got a perfect, melancholic melody. Woo. Thanks a lot for playing it, Lil.

My note to the audience: so there were the show-off people, there were the VIP's; but there also were the giggling tiny teenage girls who attempted (unsuccesfully) at some kind of sexy dance. I guess paedophiles would rejoice... I was amused. I almost felt bad for laughing at them...almost. It really was funny. :o)
We also had the douches. Or at least one who kept on prancing right in front of me during the DJ set and insisted his girlfriend made as many pictures of him looking LIKE was enjoying himself. Sad.
And then there were people I totally don't get WHY they were there. If you DON'T like the singer, the club, dancing or even drinking, why the fuck have you spent 1100-2500 CZK on it? (cca 40-90£.)
MIND-BOGGLING.

I don't want to finish on a negative note. There were people in the audience who enjoyed themselves, danced and sang along. Tho the sound was slightly crappy at times, the band was rocking, Lily sang in tune the whole time, her songs are great, some of them beautiful, even; she was in a great shape & mood and most importantly spontaneous throughout the whole gig. I don't think I've ever seen anyone act as naturally on the stage.
And those three outfits were simple but very effective. ;o)

Screw the people and the sound, it was a great gig and it reminded me why I love this young artist.
I hope her break from the music industry won't take very long... if you're talented like this, you shouldn't waste it. x

FV

Now, isn't this a piece of art? :o)



Profi pictures:
http://bit.ly/4D3BqD
http://bit.ly/36ApVW

P.S. My first time I've ever seen a rapper live. He wasn't bad, btw. Still not sure what the song was called "Just Be Dub/Good To Me"...is my guess. :o)

P.P.S. Haven't seen the setlist yet - I sadly don't remember the order of the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment